"You know when you're in your 60's. Everything hurts yet nothing works, plus you start making noises like your coffee-grinder".
So now you are officially considered a "senior"...words like Medicare, retirement, the early-bird special seem commonplace. However, many of you are actually retiring much later, learning new skills at college, running marathons or helping others as business consultants/volunteers.
Physiologically, this is an important time; after six decades of gravity there is inevitable "wear and tear". This is the time for Prevention, a time to sit up and pay greater attention to your health... physical, mental and emotional.
HEART DISEASE.....This is the leading cause of death in both men and women. According to the American Heart Association the majority of heart attacks in women occur in the decade following menopause. Talk with your Doctor about the following tests...BP, Cholesterol, Triglycerides, Blood Glucose, Body Fat Analysis.
BONE LOSS.....If you didn't receive a Bone Density Scan in your fifties you are advised to do so in your early 60's especially if at risk of osteoporosis. Begin exercising with resistance and seek Professional advice on Calcium and Vitamin D.
CANCER.....Although a dark subject the risk for certain cancers (colon, breast, ovarian, prostate, skin, lung) increases. Consider your family history, converse with your Health Care Adviser and undertake the necessary tests.
TESTS.....See your Doctor regularly for check-ups, diagnostic tests, health screenings and important immunizations. General guidelines for both genders in their 60's include:
- EYE EXAM.....The American Academy of Ophthalmology suggests complete eye exams every two years for those over 65 paying attention to cataracts, glaucoma and age-related Macular Degeneration.
- DENTAL EXAM.....Regular check-ups can detect early signs of gum disease and bone-loss. Excess bacteria can lead to Heart Disease so floss daily. Professional teeth cleaning is advised every 6-12 months.
- PELVIC EXAM.....ACOG recommends that all women in the 60's have a gynecological exam annually.
- SKIN EXAM.....A comprehensive skin exam annually.
- THYROID TEST.....Every 5 years or as recommended.
- IMMUNISATIONS.....Vaccines for hepatitis, Shingles, Pneumonia and Tetanus should be discussed with your Doctor.
Do you recall when you started to financially invest in your future stocks, bonds, IRA's, 401K's. Now is the time to invest in your future health. We will show you the best exercises for improved flexibility and functionality and the best foods to eat for better energy and health. PREVENTION IS KEY.
Pick from our "Menu of Options" below and select the program and membership that will add life to your years.